Traditional Korean Pillow 육골침 베게 복원기규방공예를 배우며 바늘 장인의 실력이 조금씩 쌓여갈 무렵, 제 마음속에는 늘 간직해 온 오랜 목표가 하나 있었습니다. 바로 어릴 적 고향 집에서 아버지께서 베고 주무시던 전통 육골침(六骨枕) 베개를 직접 재현해내는 것이었습니다.
바쁜 농번기가 끝난 겨울이면, 어머니는 따스한 햇볕과 환한 빛이 쏟아져 들어오는 마루에 앉으셔서 육골침 베개와 둥근 베개의 모서리를 장식할 고운 전통 자수(Hand Embroidery)를 한 올 한 올 놓으시던 어머니의 모습이 떠오릅니다.
이 소중한 기억 속 전통 베개(Traditional Korean Pillow)를 완벽하게 재현하기 위해, 박물관의 옛 문헌과 침선 자료들을 깊이 공부하기 시작했습니다. 오랜 연구 끝에 직접 도안을 그리고 수를 놓아 원단을 완성한 뒤, 고향 마을로 내려갔습니다. 그리고 우리 마을의 살아있는 역사이신 어르신을 직접 찾아뵙고, 베갯속을 채우고 형태를 잡는 전통 육골침 제작법을 전수받는 귀한 시간을 가졌습니다.
전통 방식 그대로의 가치를 살리기 위해, 6개의 골(골짜기) 안에는 인공 솜을 일절 넣지 않았습니다. 대신 햇살에 잘 마른 볏대를 꼼꼼하게 골라 결을 정리한 뒤, 속을 빈틈없이 단단하게 채워 형태를 잡고 끝마무리를 하였습니다. 원래 전통 기법대로라면 양쪽 베갯모와 6개의 면을 화려한 '사뜨기' 로 연결해야 하지만, 이번 복원 작업에서는 단아하고 정갈한 선을 살리기 위해 촘촘한 감침질(Overcast Stitch) 기법을 사용하여 정성스럽게 마감 처리하였습니다.
오랜 세월을 건너 어머니의 자수 감성과 고향 어르신의 손길, 그리고 고증이 더해져 완성된 이 육골침 베개는 단순한 침구를 넘어 하나의 섬유 예술(Fiber Art) 작품이자 온전한 휴식을 선물하는 치유의 도구입니다. 우리의 옛 것이 가진 단단하고 위로가 되는 아름다움을 더 많은 분과 공유하고 싶습니다.
전통 육골침 베개, 규방공예 클래스, 한국 전통 자수, 섬유 예술 작품, 전통 베개 복원, 감침질 기법, Traditional Korean Pillow, Hand Embroidery, Gyubang crafts, Fiber Art
Restoring Traditional Korean Pillow): Weaving Together My Mother’s Embroidery and Hometown Heritage
As I began learning Gyubang crafts (traditional Korean boudoir crafts) and my skills as a needlework artisan gradually grew, a long-cherished dream remained deep in my heart. That dream was to recreate the Yukgolchim (six-ribbed pillow), a traditional Korean pillow that my father used to rest his head on at our countryside home during my childhood.
I vividly recall the quiet winters when the busy farming season had come to an end. My mother would sit on the maru (traditional wooden porch) where the warm winter sunlight and bright glare poured in. There, she would meticulously embroider the fine patterns meant to adorn the corners of the round pillows and the Yukgolchim. Watching her stitch by stitch became a foundational memory of hand embroidery that still inspires me today.
To perfectly restore this traditional Korean pillow from my precious memories, I immersed myself in studying historical texts and ancient needlework records preserved in museums. After extensive research, I finally drafted my own patterns and completed the embroidered fabrics. With the finished textiles in hand, I traveled back to my hometown. There, I visited a village elder—a living history of our community—and was granted the rare privilege of learning the time-honored, oral tradition of shaping and stuffing the Yukgolchim.
To preserve the authentic value of ancient methods, I did not use any synthetic cotton to fill the six characteristic "ribs" (valleys) of the pillow. Instead, I carefully gathered naturally dried rice straws, combed through them to straighten their grains, and packed them tightly inside to create a solid, sturdy shape. While the authentic historical method requires connecting the six panels and the side patches using the ornate Satteugi (decorative border stitch), I chose to finish this particular restoration using tight, meticulous overcast stitches to highlight a sleek, neat, and elegant silhouette.
Reaching across time to unite my mother’s embroidery aesthetics, a hometown elder’s wisdom, and rigorous historical research, this completed Yukgolchim is far more than mere bedding. It is a piece of fine fiber art and a healing vessel that offers true comfort. Through this blog, I hope to share the resilient, comforting beauty of our ancient heritage with art lovers worldwide.
Traditional Korean Pillow, Hand Embroidery, Gyubang crafts, Fiber Art, Yukgolchim restoration, Textile art artisan, Traditional Korean bedding, Overcast stitch, Heritage preservation, Craftsmanship
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기